Skip to main content

Blog 2.6- Starting IVs

I actually learned how to start an IV this week! I went to the college on Wednesday and my aunt was able to help me get all my supplies together and start an IV. I used a stimulation adult arm to learn the skill and I was able to successfully start a saline drip.

The first part of the process was to set up all my supplies and saline drip. I first set out my tape and gauze so it was ready to go when I needed it. Next I set up my saline bag and tubing. Once I had that all set in place, I had to set my drip rate. I'm not going to lie, this was probably the hardest part. I had to watch the clock for 15 seconds and adjust it until I had five drops every 15 seconds. After that was set, I locked it in place and hung the tubing on the rack. 

Next, I was able to begin the injection process. I applied a tourniquet above the area where I would place the IV. I then placed the needle in the vein and pushed in the catheter, removing the needle. Then I taped it so it wouldn't move and cause discomfort. I took off the tourniquet and put a syringe of saline into the vein. Then I hooked up the tubing to the catheter hub and started the drip.

I had a lot of fun learning this skill, and it wasn't necessarily hard to do, there is just a lot of steps to pay attention to. I plan to practice more next week and hopefully improve.


Comments

  1. I'd think that it injecting needles into veins is quite hard. I've heard that some nurses can do it without causing pain to the patients, and others not so much. . . It is good that it seems to be coming along easily for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is so cool! I don't know if I would be able to do it, if I ever had to do it, but I don't mind being stabbed with needles unless its shots. I don't know why but I don't like shots but I don't have a problem with giving blood. Anyways keep up the great work Amy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment