Skip to main content

Week 2- Experiments and Learning

This week I was able to start the process of taking pictures and videos for my documentary. I went out with my dad to check some cows so I took some pictures along the way. It was freezing cold and raining, and after about an hour of taking pictures my hands were frozen. Despite the awful weather, I was still able to take some great photos and a few videos.

While I am not a photographer by any means, I was able to capture some great landscape pictures and some pictures of old buildings on the ranch. I was able to see how much I improved within the couple hours I took pictures and learned more about how to use the camera. However, with it being as cold and rainy as it was, I could not get some of the landscape pictures I wanted, and plan to take more on a clearer day, hopefully one where the sun shines a little bit more. 

One thing I have learned this week, however, is that taking videos that look good is very hard to do. I took about three videos, mostly of landscape, and they did not turn out like I planned. The hardest part is keeping the camera level while I took videos and keeping it all in focus. Another hard part of taking videos is being able to find a subject to video. Landscape videos are great to have, but I need to find new things to video in order to keep my documentary interesting.

Once I had some of my pictures, I was able to edit them on my laptop. It was a great was to brighten up some of my photos and fix some of the flaws in the picture. Many of these flaws were due to rain drops on my camera lens, and clouding on the lens due to all the moisture. I was also able to edit the videos and slow them down, this made them look a little bit better and I might be able to use them. Once the editing was done, I began to play around with the video app. I learned how to insert the videos and pictures, and add words. I am exited that I learned so much this week and can't wait to continue to work on my documentary.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you are one of those national geographic camera dudes who have to brave the bitter cold of some wild place like Alaska. The photos that you've taken so far are pretty neat, and of good quality. My younger brother Anthony is in to film making and he has a bunch of stuff that helps keeps his camera stable while he records video. Not that you would need that, as I suspect you are not doing fight scenes or running through the woods as he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some gorgeous photos Amy! Is it harder to take pictures, or shoot video? Which do you find yourself enjoying more? I understand that keeping the camera level and getting a variety of shots can be very difficult. I have a book called "How to Shoot Video that Doesn't Suck" that gives tips and tricks if you would like to borrow it. I'm very excited to see what your finished documentary will be!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment