Skip to main content

Blog 2.3- Practice Makes Perfect!


Retractable needle
This has been another productive week for me and I am very excited about it! I have started to learn about how to decide what patients need in certain conditions and more about injections.

This week I took on intramuscular and z-track injections. An intramuscular injection is just simply an injection in the muscle, commonly given in the upper arm. A z-track is a special type of intramuscular injection usually given in the upper thigh. The difference is that when you give a z-track you displace the tissue by pulling the skin to the side and then insert the needle. When you do this, it keeps the medication deep in the muscle and prevents it from resurfacing to the skin. Another difference is that when you z-track, you must aspirate to insure you have not hit a blood vessel. 
Safety needle

I also was able to figure out how to use different types of needles and syringes. One syringe I used would retract the needle when you pushed hard enough on the plunger. I also learned how to use a safety needle. This is a needle that is longer so it has a plastic cover that you can snap on once you are done with it to keep . However, one thing I did not realize is that once it is covered, you cannot take the cover off. Oops!

It has a very busy week for me, but I am so glad I am able to make time for my project. I must say, I am really enjoying every part of it! 

Comments

  1. Do you have a fear of pricking yourself? That is something I would be afraid of, even though it is probably unlikely.

    I didn't know there were that many different types of needles. Does the type of needle vary based on what the injection is for and where it is being applied? You mentioned how a different injection is given for the thigh, but does this just mean that the way it is injected is changed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Amy! I am glad that you are learning something that you will need to know in your future. It is great to have a head start. You may have answered this already, but I forgot. How are you practicing this? Also, where are you getting the materials?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, this is awesome that you are learning so much and that you are enjoying this project. I have to agree with Brandon tho, I would be worried that sometimes you could accidentally prick yourself or even worse you might give the patient the wrong meds if you have many needles around you. I hope you have success in furthering with your genius hour project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment